I hate windows but i keep on comming back

Sean C Sieger sean.sieger at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 17:29:38 UTC 2005

Ouch. No, Frederic, I am sorry; I think the tone of my message must be all
wrong, as I meant all of what I said in a postive sense. See below.

Frederic Soulier <frederic at wallaby.uklinux.net> writes:

> On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 12:20 -0400, Sean C Sieger wrote:
>> Frederic Soulier <frederic at wallaby.uklinux.net> writes:
>> > but on a laptop, Windows is way ahead.
>> >
>> Of what? I have an identical pair of new model laptops, one running xp home and one running ubuntu 5.04 and with a _little_ work my one with ubuntu is way ahead of the one with xp.
>
> Ok first I'm not trying to troll in any way. I meant in terms of buying
> a laptop and using it straight away.
>
> - What is a new model laptop for you?

I think the Dell Latitude X1 came out around the beginning of the year.
Leased mine at the end of May, my thirty-month leases happen to coincide
with Dell's development of their ultraportable. The new model comes out at
the end of my lease. Sweet, huh. 'Cept for the M$ Tax.

> - Have you bought these laptops based on their features or based on
> hardware specs that is *potentially* well supported, like a Thinkpad?

Three things:

1) Size; moving the machines around Manhattan on foot is a... situation.
2) Hardware, I suppose that Intel Pro 2200 wireless card was an important
   factor.
3) (And I understand the sense of 'support' that you are referring to:)
   The thirty-month (new for me, I have always had thirty-sixth month
   leases) support that comes with my lease is pretty okay with me (never
   paid any cash out after signing a deal).

> - What constitute "a _little_" work for you?

As you know, the large part is finding documentation, the actual execution
quite small. After, what now... two major issues (video driver and wireless
driver) one to go:

1) Installing 915resolution
2) Installing IPW2200 1.0.0
3) And now figuring out how to configure xorg.conf for Synaptics Touchpad

...the work seems trivial. Again, finding the right documentation that gets
the job done and is right because it suits you is the real work.

>> My wife regularly leans over to me and asks what the current error message means. I read it. But I am done googling those error messages. Ahead? The hard drive with xp never seems to stop kicking -- if that's what keeps it ahead -- I'll s keep my GNU/Linux.
>
> I never said Windows on a laptop was perfect ;) but for that matter
> Ubuntu and linux distro in general are not perfect either... Sorry.

No, sir, you didn't and again I am truly sorry for the misguided tone.
--
Sean