I hate windows but i keep on comming back

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Wed Jun 29 09:55:10 UTC 2005

hagen van rissenbeck wrote:
> Do I miss some apps in linux (point of view of and end user)?
>
> FMPOW, there is one lack, which is rarely discussed: OCR.

and below that in terms of discussion level is handicapped accessibility
for speech recognition users.  There is no usable speech recognition on
Linux.  All of the tools out there such as Sphinx etc. are for limited
vocabulary command and control that applications.  The old ViaVoice for
Linux was a broken implementation from day one and only about one in 10
users could get it to work.  The only viable speech recognition is
NaturallySpeaking or ViaVoice for Windows.

So I don't use Linux except through X11 on Windows which really sucks
because there's no command and control for program function.  All I can
do is limited dictation into text areas with no editing by speech.

yes, it sucks.  No, don't bother suggesting speaking a keyboard
solutions or creating macros on a per application basis because 1) X11
doesn't carry enough information to Windows so that I can do this 2)
applications typically don't have keystrokes assigned to every menu item.

and yes, I have tried wine.  It doesn't work it fails in a wonderful
variety of ways and the only way to fix things is to come up with a few
hundred thousand to pay codeweavers to support the application.

being handicapped really makes one grouchy especially when you can't
make your environment meet your needs.

---eric