Moving from Debian to Ubuntu

Ante Karamatić ivoks at grad.hr
Tue Jun 28 20:27:51 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 23:22 +0400, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:

> First, is it possible to install Ubuntu on a separate partition so the
> system can boot either in Windows 98 or Debian or Ubuntu? Can /home be
> 'shared' by both Ubuntu and Debian assuming usernames are the same in
> both? How do I go about repartitioning the drive and moving /home? What
> changes will I have to make to LILO?

You can have triple boot system, of course. You will need extra
dist/partition for that. You could share /home, yes. You could mount at
boot Debian's / to /mnt/debian, and then use /mnt/debian/home as home
for your user (I think link /home/username -> /mnt/debian/home/username
would be enough). Having same username isn't a must-have, but having
users have same UID/GID is a must.

> If, however, it is not possible to have a 3-way bootable system, how do
> I replace Debian with Ubuntu without losing /home data and ensuring that
> the users can access their files without difficulty?

In many ways. You could bootstrap Ubuntu to some directory. You could
start installation, erase all dirs except /home and install Ubuntu
without formating drive.

You could also upgrade/downgrad from Debian to Ubuntu without reboot,
but with some tweaking - very good options for servers (no downtime, and
whole distribution is changed; only on Debian based distros :)

> Could someone please provide detailed step-by-step instruction that even
> a novice like me can understand and implement?

If you are going to remove Debian and install Ubuntu, I think the
easiest way is to delete all except /home and install Ubuntu. Best way
is to upgrade/downgrad, cause that way all your apps will be there after
upgrade.

--
Ante Karamatic|--|ivoks(@)grad.hr|--|PGP: D3BDA225
http://master.grad.hr/~ivoks/|--|ICQ: 64631782