Mac CD Eject Key

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Tue Jun 28 19:31:09 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 21:10 +0200, Maximilian Gerlach wrote:
> man eject!
> See: -t option.
> What you want is a little script that looks for the state of your  cdrom
> drive and does eject or eject -t on it.
> That should be doable :)

Good, we're getting there.  I think I want to add something to the wish
list:  I don't ever want to have to either grope for that little button
to open or close the drawer or shove the drawer to close it.

I want the single key press on one of those 'Windows' keys (or a
user-chosen hotkey) to toggle the drawer between open and closed.  If
the mount command is used to close the drive, then I want to be able to
supress the 'no disk' error always if I have pressed the magic key.  If
If I press the key when the drive is in use, I might want the action
inhibited, possibly with a 'do you really mean that Y/N' dialogue.  (I
mean in use in the sense of a mounted disk or playing audio/video disk
rather than merely physically holding a disk.)

I'd better go and see what a Mac does under these circumstances.  Hope
they haven't patented this bit of the UI ;)  ("A method of reducing non
keyboard touch operator intervention in the case of exchange or
inspection of removable media (including but not restricted to optical
and magnetic or combinations thereof with or without a hole in the
middle) in data processing and streaming media equipments not limited

Neil