Ubuntu 5.04 on HP nx9110

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Tue Jun 28 12:20:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 12:48, James Pifer wrote:
> Hi. I'm fairly new to Ubuntu although I've played with it a little
> lately. In the past I've mainly used Redhat/Fedora. I was running FC3 on
> my HP nx9110 laptop and a recent 'apt-get upgrade' blew up my xorg
> config and my display settings were trashed. I couldn't get it to work
> the same even using my backed up xorg.conf.  With that, and some other
> problems, I decided to try Ubuntu.
>
> It installed great and I'm working through the "issues". My biggest
> issue is the display, especially the external display. The laptop runs
> at 1280x800 on the internal display using an ATI Radeon Mobility 9100 U3
> (R200 IGP) and looks great. If I plug in the external display and reboot
> it stays at the same resolution. I don't have an option for 1280x1024.
> It's like it doesn't see the external adapter, even though the video is
> coming through it.
>
> In FC3 I was used to going to System Settings/Display and was able to
> modify the settings, both for the internal and the external display. I
> can't find anything like that on Ubuntu.
>
> In searching the archives and google it looks like people have been
> manually editing xorg.conf to get external displays working. Is there
> any other way? How come ubuntu doesn't seem to see the external display
> adapter similar to how Fedora Core does?

Well, I've made some progress on this last night by following this
guide:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24557

I have the radeon drivers installed and it finds the card:
$ fglrxinfo
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: MOBILITY RADEON 9000/9100 IGP Series DDR Generic
OpenGL version string: 1.3.4769 (X4.3.0-8.8.25)

glxgears works, but fgl_glxgears does not. Not sure how big of an issue
that is. I have my single laptop display workng, but I can't get the
external display working. I've even tried fglrxconfig, but that config
wouldn't even load the laptop display. (I assume I answered one or more
questions incorrectly).

At the bottom is my single laptop display xorg.conf. Anyone willing to
give me their insight on modifying this for my external flat panel
display? I'd like to get 1280x1024 on the external display and 1280x800
on the laptop display. Not dual head, I just want to close my laptop and
use the external, but be able to open the laptop when I need to (such as
moving to another room, etc).

Any help is appreciated.

James

xorg.conf:

# /etc/X11/xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool,
using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the /etc/X11/xorg.conf manual
page.
# (Type "man /etc/X11/xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades
*only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically
updated
# again, run the following commands:
#
#   cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.custom
#   sudo sh -c 'md5sum /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>/var/lib/xfree86/xorg.conf.md5sum'
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "GLcore"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "dri"
        # Load "extmod" but omit DGA extension - this must be included
as is if you want to change resolution on the fly
        SubSection "extmod"
            Option "omit xfree86-dga"
        EndSubSection
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
        Option          "HorizScrollDelta"      "0"
EndSection

###Added
Section "Device"
  Identifier    "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Mobility 9100 U3 (R200
IGP)"
  Driver     "fglrx" # this is the important bit
  BusID         "PCI:1:5:0"

# If X refuses to use the screen resolution you asked for,
# uncomment this; see "Bugs and Workarounds" for details.
  Option "NoDDC"

# === Video Overlay for the Xv extension ===
  Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
# === OpenGL Overlay ===
# Note: When OpenGL Overlay is enabled, Video Overlay
#       will be disabled automatically
  Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
# === Use internal AGP GART support? ===
# If OpenGL acceleration doesn't work, try using "yes" here
# and disable the kernel agpgart driver.
  Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        Option          "DPMS"
###     Modeline        "1280x800 at 60" 83.91 1280 1312 1624 1656 800 816
824 841
EndSection

###Added
Section "Screen"
  Identifier "Default Screen"
  Device     "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Mobility 9100 U3 (R200 IGP)"
  Monitor    "Generic Monitor"
  DefaultDepth 24
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1280x800" # this is only an example,
                     # use your preferred resolution here
  EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"