[Off Topic] HOWTO Encourage Women in Linux

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Tue Jun 28 04:05:58 UTC 2005

>> I know I shouldn't stereo type but as a general rule I have not met
>> many women with the inquiring mind that this young lady had. I think
>> it's a part of the "Women - Venus/Men - Mars" thing... We're
>> fundamentally different and toying about with new things especially
>> computers is something that interests us guys more, not because Women
>> can't, just because they don't want to.

Well.. why is this a problem? :)  Fewer women than men ride big
motorbikes, fewer women than men have a 4x4 truck with huge wheels.
It's a guy thing, and it's a good thing to have guy things. Without
guy things, we wouldn't be guys. :)

Ok, that aside, I would propose that Ubuntu is perhaps the most
feminine of all Linux distributions.. (Also, adding a 'hello kitty'
theme or something with golden retriever puppies does wonders. :D )
Seriously, Ubuntu is the first Linux that my wife didn't hate.. Don't
know why, could be just the name, could be just the bongo's. Could
also be because it keeps me out of the pub and at home longer than any
other operating system, ever, so who really knows?

Seriously though.. in my office right now this moment there are women
administrating Oracle, writing Java code, testing software and
managing software projects.. I really doubt any of them would have a
problem using Linux. An issue perhaps is that they're not just women,
but that English is also not their first language.. Currently, doing
anything with Linux just involves reading. Reading English texts, man
pages, how-to's.. That would be an extra hurdle in effectively using
Linux. (Applies to the men in my office just the same of course).
Still, the Oracle Administrator (Administrette? Adminitratrix? :)
seems to manage, and Oracle is also not known for it's intuitiveness..

Cheers,
Chanchao