Automatic Login and Ubuntu also No automatic boot to X, and Xauthorization problem

Colin McDermott colmcd at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jun 28 01:29:48 UTC 2005

>>Thankyou for your responces. As I stated in my email I am using ICEWM NOT GDM!

window managers on login. You have wdm, if you dislike gdm.

Yes point taken. To explain I do not want to use a Display Manager AT ALL! With the people that I am working with it is too complex to get them to type in a user name and password. I know that I can disable the login in GDM. But I have found that using GDM slows the system down considerably.  If there was an automated login via WDM or XDM then that might be more appropiate.

>> I have done this but it is not working effectively. I almost have to launch bash to get it to work.
>

>>As root (or sudo) start visudo and on the end of file type in:

>>username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown -h now

>>Then create a shortcut that will exec 'sudo /sbin/shutdown -h now'.

Thanks will try.

--
Colin McDermott
Reboot Computer Reuse centre