System Restore

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Mon Jun 27 23:06:34 UTC 2005

Matthew S-H wrote:

> Easy solution.
> 1.    Create sym-links in /etc to files in /site-etc.
> 2.    Make /site-etc only accessible by root.
> 3.    Then, whenever you want to create a "site-specific" file, just
> delete the sym-link in /etc and make a new file!!

unfortunately, it does not match the semantics of what I'm proposing.
It also adds a significant amount of overhead and is more likely than
not for the wrong thing to happen down the right thing.  The
multilayered filesystem can be set up to make it easy to recover from
the wrong behavior (near) automatically