system freeze installing libxine1

Todd Deshane deshantm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 15:21:10 UTC 2005

On 6/26/05, Todd Slater <dontodd at columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 05:36:24PM -0400, Todd Deshane wrote:
> >
> > On 6/26/05, Todd Slater <[1]dontodd at columbus.rr.com<http://columbus.rr.com>>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 01:02:54AM -0400, Todd Deshane wrote:
> > >
> > > On 6/23/05, Todd Slater <[1]dontodd@[2]columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I try to keep my system up to date, but I haven't been able
> > > install
> > > recent updates because my system freezes when trying to
> > install
> > > libxine1.
> > > When I run the update util (red icon notifying me updates
> > are
> > > available), it says some packages will be held back and that
> > I need
> > > run apt-get dist-upgrade or synaptic smart upgrade. Since I
> > > couldn't
> > > find anything like that in synaptic, I ran apt-get.
> > >
> > > The smart upgrade option is in Settings->Preferences->
> > System
> > > Upgrade:
> > > but I don't think that is the problem that you are after.
> > > try this
> > > sudo apt-cache --installed rdepends libxine1
> > > that should tell you which packages (filtering on the
> > > installed ones) that depend on libxine1
> > > for me it is only gxine.
> > > then you can decide if you want to remove that package
> > > and libxine1
> > sudo apt-cache --installed rdepends libxine1 reports that nothing
> > depends on
> > libxine1.
> > So I tried removing it but got a message that the package was badly
> > broken and needed re-installed.
> > sudo apt-get install libxine1 dies on error:
> > Get:1 [3]http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/main libxine1
> > 1.0-1ubuntu3.1 [3750kB]
> > Fetched 3750kB in 13s (281kB/s)
> > Preconfiguring packages ...
> > Selecting previously deselected package libxine1.
> > (Reading database ... 101668 files and directories currently
> > installed.)
> > Preparing to replace libxine1 1.0-1ubuntu3 (using
> > .../libxine1_1.0-1ubuntu3.1_i386.deb) ...
> > Unpacking replacement libxine1 ...
> > dpkg: error processing
> > /var/cache/apt/archives/libxine1_1.0-1ubuntu3.1_i386.deb
> > (--unpack):
> > unable to install new version of
> > `./usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.0.0/post':
> > Input/output error
> > dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> > /var/cache/apt/archives/libxine1_1.0- 1ubuntu3.1_i386.deb
> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
> > sudo apt-get remove libxine1 reports:
> > Removing libxine1 ...
> > dpkg: error processing libxine1 (--remove):
> > cannot remove `/usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.0.0/xineplug_decode_nsf.so':
> > Permission denied
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> > libxine1
> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
> [...]

try running sudo ls -l

I know the problem has something to do with a broken package,
but my experience with debian based distributions is limited to
ubuntu and that has been pretty good to me so far.

If it was me I would probably end up trying stuff manually (make
back up's of anything you delete), but I am sure there is someone
who could give decent information on using apt or dpkg or something
that would help solve your problem... anyone want to be that person?

Todd

Regards,
Todd