after 2 weeks of running ubuntu

Matt Patterson matt at v8zman.com
Mon Jun 27 12:34:27 UTC 2005

Just thought I should throw in some more freeze prevention options.
Kernel options I have used for machines: noapic, nolapic, acpi=off,
noacpi, noinotify (this one might fix the mounting problems for you, but
you have to manually mount drives when they are inserted/attached).
Also, if you have SMP, try running a single kernel for a while, if that
solves the problem then change some bios SMP options (SMP standard from
1.4 to 1.1 or vice versa).

Also, if you run nvidia, try disabling glx, and the one that truly fixed
my problems, disable agp using the nvagp option in xorg.conf.

And a final note, some adaptec scsi adapters SUCK, look in your logs for
errors from them, even while the machine seems fine. I had a scsi
controller with an iffy cable freeze my machine.

Matt