system freeze installing libxine1

Todd Deshane deshantm at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 05:02:54 UTC 2005

On 6/23/05, Todd Slater <dontodd at columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> I try to keep my system up to date, but I haven't been able to install
> recent updates because my system freezes when trying to install
> libxine1.
>
> When I run the update util (red icon notifying me updates are
> available), it says some packages will be held back and that I need to
> run apt-get dist-upgrade or synaptic smart upgrade. Since I couldn't
> find anything like that in synaptic, I ran apt-get.

The smart upgrade option is in Settings->Preferences-> System Upgrade:

but I don't think that is the problem that you are after.

try this
sudo apt-cache --installed rdepends libxine1

that should tell you which packages (filtering on the
installed ones) that depend on libxine1

for me it is only gxine.

then you can decide if you want to remove that package
and libxine1

todd at mercury:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Calculating upgrade... Done
> muine-dbus muine-plugin
> The following packages have been kept back:
> mozilla-firefox mozilla-firefox-gnome-support
> beagle gaim gaim-data libnspr-dev libnspr4 libnss3 libxine1
> mozilla-browser
> mozilla-dev muine sudo tcpdump
> 12 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
> 1 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 3750kB/23.2MB of archives.
> After unpacking 3841kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
> Abort.
>
> The problem is that libxine1 freezes my system. It's weird
> because I can move the mouse but I can't click. I can Ctrl-alt-f2 and
> attempt to log in, but after I enter my username it freezes and never
> lets me enter my password. I end up having to do a reset (ouch).
>
> This has happened several times and I had just been deselecting libxine
> in synaptic, but I seem to have gotten to a point that the dist-upgrade
> won't go on without it.
>
> Help!
>
> Todd

Regards,