wireless woes

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Sat Jun 25 13:39:52 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 06:58:56PM -0500, Charles Malespin wrote:
> Where/which log files do I look in to see if my AP sees my card?  PS.
> when I ran that iwlist scan just now the internet was off(like it
> normally goes off) and a few seconds after I ran that iwlist it came
> back on.  I dont know if it was because of this, or if it just came back
> on.  So just to add that....

The iwlist scan results you sent along show that every
single access point has 'quality 0.' That's bad. I've never
seen that. Even when there's a lot of interference from
nearby access points, I can normally get good access with
quality around 30%.

Try a couple things:

1) In your /etc/network/interfaces, try using
'wireless-essid any' (without quotes). This will try to
connect to any available access point when you go online.

2) Connect to your access point with an Ethernet cable, do
an ifdown wlan0 and then an ifup wlan0, and go to
192.168.1.1 in your browser. Type in whatever your username
and password are (both are 'admin' if nothing has changed).
Then change the channel that the AP is broadcasting on. To
figure out what channel you should broadcast on, do

iwlist eth0 scan |grep 'Channel:' |sort |uniq -c |sort -nr

This will display the wireless channels currently in use by
nearby access points, in descending order of the number of
access points using each channel. Try to pick a channel
that's as far away from the others as possible. (Most
everyone sticks with their AP's default -- channel 6, in
Linksys's case.)

Keep us up to date on your labors.

--
Stephen R. Laniel