System Restore

Robert Valk roberre at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jun 25 08:20:59 UTC 2005

I think this is a really fantastic idea, and I'd love to get involved
or start something up. Learning Python at the moment (that's the
Ubuntu 'lingua franca' yes?).

I've been thinking a lot about an Ubuntu 'system restore' - what
would need to be saved and in what form.
I think the big saving grace is that people who need such a feature -
ma, pa and co., are not the people who would go messing manually with
config files and such. Conversely, people who do write their own X11
config by hand are savvy enough to make their own backups. I reckon
the best approach is the apt 'undo' layer someone suggested - being
able to roll back changes made with the debian packaging framework.
apt does so much of the hard work, it just needs that user-friendly
ubuntu-isation on the top.

Cheers
Rob

--
'Too much music finishes too long after the end...'
         --Igor Stravinsky