Installing BootSplash troubles...

Charlie Lewis clewis4 at hot.rr.com
Fri Jun 24 23:36:02 UTC 2005

On Friday 24 June 2005 04:55 pm, Paul Sutcliffe wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to install bootsplash in my ubuntu, so, i got a lot of
> error messages in the first step(http://www.bootsplash.org/kernel.html).
> Anybody can give me a hand with this. Thanks.
>
> Here is:
> paul at ubuntu:/usr/src/linux-2.6.12$ patch -p1 <
> /usr/src/bootsplash-3.1.4-2.6.3.diff

Paul, just from what I see here, it looks like you are trying to apply a patch
for a 2.6.3 kernel to a 2.6.12 kernel source.

http://www.bootsplash.de added a patch bootsplash-3.1.6-2.6.12.diff on the
18th of June for the 2.6.12 source. Go there and download it and give it a
try.

The instructions at http:// www.bootsplash.org only give generalized
instructions pertaining to the sources for bootsplash. the .deb packages for
the Ubuntu theme are in the Hoary repository, you will need:
bootsplash-theme-ubuntu - The bootsplash theme ubuntu
bootsplash - Enables a graphical boot screen
sysv-rc-bootsplash - Bootsplash patches to rc/rcS files
bootsplash-theme-newlinux - The bootsplash theme newlinux

I think the kernel-patch-bootsplash in the Hoary archive is for the 2.6.3, and
that may be where you got the one you are trying to use, so no need to even
mess with it if you are building the 2.6.12 kernel.

Try the patch I mentioned above and make sure you have all the kernel config
settings as per instructions and it should build. I suggest using the Debian
procedure using kpkg to build the kernel-image and modules-image in
accordance with the instructions at

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html#KPKG-KERNEL-PKG

I posted on the thread on bootsplash a couple of days ago, but included no
specific instructions.

if you run into difficulties feel free to drop to private e-mail and I will
try to give you a hand.

Charlie