Use Ubuntu on a laptop

Alexander Kirillov ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri Jun 24 13:52:59 UTC 2005

Sabine Cretella Wrote:
> Hi, I just found out about Ubuntu and it seems to be the solution I
> searched for.
>
> Now I am working maily on a laptop. Does anyone have experiences with
> Intel centrino technology?
>
> I am working with a
> Intel Pentium M 1,73 GHz
> 1,00 GB Ram
> NIVIDA GeForce Go 6600
> DVD/CD: MATSHITA UJ-831D
> what other indications are needed?
>
> Or should I just try the live-CD and see if I can work on my projects
> this way?
>
> How can I really test out if everything would work well before
> definitely installing the OS?
>
> The thing is I use my laptop for work - so I cannot afford to have real
>
> difficulties to sort out ...
>
> Thank you!!!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Sabine

What will likely give you most headaches is wireless (if it uses intel
wireless chipset, OK; anything broadcom-based can be made to work, but
it requires work), modem (if you use it) and possibly suspend/hibernate
(now works on most models, but not all). Hardware acceleration on NVIDIA
requires downloading proprietary drivers separately, but they work
pretty well.

You can also check http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html

--
Alexander Kirillov