Mac OS X v. Linux (Was: Re: Ubuntu Boot Up Logo)

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Jun 24 07:31:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 09:36:50AM +0700, Custom wrote:
>Jacob Walch wrote:
>
>>One disadvantage of Linux is something that really has nothing to do
>>with Linux per se: that it is not installed on most computers when you
>>buy them.
>
>Over a year ago I bought a HP/Compaq laptop that hat Linux
>pre-installed. (Mandrake). Just yesterday I chucked that off and
>installed Ubuntu even though that means the modem no longer works..
>
>Actually I wonder if I could have used the driver from the Mandrake
>installation.. I legally own it as it came pre-installed with the computer?

You probably should read the license for the software. I don't think it
would be unreasonable to assume you are allowed to use the driver on any
Linux installation you choose to put on that computer.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

We need to start teaching programming and hacking in first grade, or
better, earlier.
     -- Bob Frankston