Updating SW (Was Re: Mac OS X v. Linux)

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Jun 24 07:28:36 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:27:39AM -0400, Ken.Lank wrote:
>On a different note, I'm very new to ubuntu and Linux in general.  I've
>done some quick searches but am coming up short on finding a decent faq
>on how to install or update software.  IE, I'm looking to update gaim
>to the current version.  Is there a faq to help me out.  Thanks.

The short answer for Gaim: use backports!

The longer answer:
As so often with Linux you have a few options if you want to upgrade a
package:

 1. Use backports.
 2. Download the sources for Breezy and build the package yourself.
 3. Download the source from Hoary and the new version then use the
    instructions from the Debian New Maintainers Guide to build a
    package.
 4. Download the source of the new version, compile and install it.

The first is the least possible work, and you can easily remove the
package if it doesn't live up to your expectations.

The second is not difficult, unless you need to start editing the
dependencies and rules for building.

The third is more work still, but a good exercise if you ever would like
to get involved in MOTU.

The fourth has one major drawback, the software isn't handled by the
packaging system. If you install much SW this way you are likely to have
problems removing/updating stuff later on.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Of course I laugh at my own jokes. You can't trust strangers.
     -- Phyllis Diller