Mac OS X v. Linux (Was: Re: Ubuntu Boot Up Logo)

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Jun 24 07:00:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 02:23:06PM -0400, UbuWu wrote:

>Magnus Therning Wrote:
>>
>> The packaging system in Debian (and therefore Ubuntu and other
>> Debian-based distros) is amazingly good compared to what you find in
>> the most popular commercial OSs. Having to manually uninstall a
>> program just to upgrade to a newer version is ridiculous I think, and
>> still that is how Windows seems to expect users to behave. It's
>> simply silly that software packaging isn't provided by the OS,
>> instead it's up to each and every software package to provide its own
>> crappy solution.
>
>Mmm there are no upgrades to newer versions of software in Ubuntu...
>only the security updates. By default you only get new versions of
>software with a new release of the OS. It would be nice if you could
>choose to install a newer version of a program...

You are free to do so of course, but then you're at the mercy of the
developer team, which invariably means some incompatibilities with
Ubuntu/Debian.

You have one other option, use the backports project:

 http://backports.ubuntuforums.org/

If you're missing something in it I'm sure they'll be happy to accept
Breezy packages backported to Hoary...

With the frequent releases that Ubuntu has I don't see this as a big
problem. Frequent releases of a stable (as stable as SW ever gets at
least) distribution far outweighs my need for being on the bleeding
edge. For the daring there's always Breezy...

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

     -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania.