Ubuntu Boot Up Logo

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 18:48:01 UTC 2005

On 6/23/05, Custom <custom at freenet.de> wrote:

> > I for one (and I expect many others here) like to watch, for one
> > reason or another, the technical garbage that comes up on screen.
> >
> > But when I put the Hoary Live CD into my friends Dell laptop he nearly
> > jumped out of his skin. It took me ages to convince him that the Live
> > CD wouldn't hurt his computer, and I think I nearly lost his trust
> > with those scrolling lines.
>  >
> > "People" simply can't handle lines of white text on a black
> > background. They immediately think something has gone wrong, and for a
> > first time use of a new operating system, it isn't really the reaction
> > we want.
>
> Yes, this totally sums it up for me.  Power users in Linux will ALWAYS
> have a way to do what they want.  But if I put my mother behind a
> computer and the thing boots up, she will frantically try to read
> everything thinking it's information she needs later, and become worried
> and frustrated if she can't read or understand it all. (This gets worse
> if there is an error, say when it cant reach the clock-update in time. :)

I don't even think it's "your mother". I'm not particularly fond of
the boot process because it's ugly (yes, I know that's not a major
argument but, it's a fact of life, I (like many others) like beauty
and polish and simplicity is much easier to turn into something
beautiful than complexity (i.e. obscure text)). I'd be happier to see
a little progress bar telling me what % of the boot has passed. For my
server the whole kit and kaboodle is good b/c I do need to see error
messages if server daemons fail to start or something like that.
Desktop users shouldn't ever really see error messages at this early a
stage in the boot process.

Eric.