Kernel upgrade questions....

Charles Malespin charles.malespin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 16:11:53 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 16:56 +0100, Tony Arnold wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 10:35 -0500, Charles Malespin wrote:
> > Hi all, I want to upgrade/change my kernel and I have a few noobie
> > questions about this.  First when I went to synaptic I noticed that I
> > had the 386 package installed, but that the 686 is for P4(which I have
> > with 1Gb ram).  Should I be using the 686 kernel from now on?
>
> Yes, IMHO!
>
> >   Secondly,
> > I have seen talk on here about the 2.6.11 kernel, but for me it just has
> > the 2.6.10-5 kernel option.  Why is this?
>
> I don't know the answer to this one. I'm running the 2.6.10 686 kernel.
>
> >   If I upgrade or change to the
> > 686 kernel, what kind of changes am I going to have to make on my system
> > afterwards, ie driver changes, reconfiguring things, etc.?
>
> I've done this kernel update on three machines. Two desktops and a
> laptop, and I didn't have to reconfigure anything else. I just selected
> the linux-686 package in synaptic, installed it and rebooted. Don't
> uninstall the linux-386 package at this stage!
>
> Apart from a slight improvement in performance, your system will be able
> to make use of all your memory. At the moment there is a limit on the
> 386 kernel which means you are only using about three quarters of a
> gigabyte (I can't remember the exact figure).
>
> >   Sorry for
> > all the questions, its just that I have seen alot of posts here about
> > people's computers getting screwed up because of kernel upgrades, and I
> > dont have the experience to fix a major problem if one comes up....
>
> If for some bizarre reason the 686 kernel does not work on your
> hardware, then you can always boot the previous kernel by selecting it
> from the boot menu. It should be clearly marked as the 386 kernel. Once
> you've done this you can then remove the 686 kernel package and you are
> back to where you started.
>
> Have fun!
>
> Regards,
> Tony.
> --
> Tony Arnold, IT Security Coordinator, University of Manchester,
> IT Services Division, Kilburn Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL.
> T: +44 (0)161 275 6093, F: +44 (0)870 136 1004, M: +44 (0)773 330 0039
> E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold

So I installed the 2.6.10 686 kernel package, but at the grub menu it
gave me two options.... and they were both the same!  It didnt say which
one was the 386 and which one was the 686.  Is there some way to change
the names in the grub menu?  Also, I found the 2.6.11 packages, is there
anything unstable or wrong with them?  I mean shouldn't I be using the
newest kernel?  Thanks for the help,
Charles