Mac OS X v. Linux (Was: Re: Ubuntu Boot Up Logo)

Michael Beattie mtbeedee at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 15:56:29 UTC 2005

> Expose (it's what the "temporary tiling" is called) is awsome!  You
> have the option to tile all apps or all the windows of a current app.

Exposee is garbage compared to a real task bar.  You have any idea how
many times people switch between windows in a day?

With a task bar you can just look at it and then click on the one you
want.  With exposee it's a key press or moving the cursor to a corner
waiting for them to tile, then looking and selecting the one you want,
then waiting for it to come back to the front.  I would guess/estimate
that exposee takes 5x longer than a task bar and requires more key
presses or mouse actions.  Also, with a task bar windows of
applications remain in the same place.  You know that the first thing
in your task bar is your email, lets say.  With exposee it puts the
tiles in different places based on how many windows are open, where
they are on the screen and how they fit best.  So you never know where
you are going to have to click.

Sure it looks nice, but in reality Apple should have just bit the
bullet and made a task bar.