laptop - any suggestions for a friend of mine?

Steve Tripp progressivepenguin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 12:35:42 UTC 2005

I have had many flavors of linux on a few different types of laptops and I
am wondering if maybe a better question to ask is:
What laptop models are not good for linux and Ubuntu specifically?
Steve Tripp

On 6/21/05, hagen van rissenbeck <news4didascali at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> yesterday I spoke with a friend about laptops and linux and during that
> conversation, he asked me for a proposal what laptop he should buy.
>
> He would like to use it for general operations like surfing, contact
> management and office work.
>
> I, myself, made good experiences with an Acer travelmate 220 but I have
> no idea how acer laptops are working today under linux.
>
> He likes samsung laptops and wants to limit his purchase to roundabout
> 1000 $/€.
>
> Would Acer still be a good choice?
>
> What about Samsung models?
>
> Do you have any good experiences with other laptops under linux,
> especially the collabaration with ubuntu?
>
> What's your advice?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Hagen
>
> One thing is clear: Ubuntu will be installed...;-)

The Ambassador and the General were briefing me on the -- the vast majority
of Iraqis want to live in a peaceful, free world. And we will find these
people and we will bring them to justice.
-- Preznit Junior Samples. White House, Oct. 27, 2003