Ubuntu Boot Up Logo

Charlie Lewis clewis4 at hot.rr.com
Wed Jun 22 23:06:42 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 04:53 pm, Ante Karamatić wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 22:00 +0100, dan wrote:
> > But they do care! They think they (or rather I) have gone and broken
> > the computer! Especially when a red line with the words [Fail] are
> > picked out (even though it's just a message relating to a lack of
> > RAID). This sorta thing scares people and puts them off straight away.
> > We want to attract people, not put them off Ubuntu.
>
> But, we don't need splash for this. We can just avoide kernel messages
> (add silent to lilo/grub) and put some colors in init squence. If
> init-ng gets in Ubuntu, only making kernel quiet will be needed. init-ng
> enables booting in few seconds. Then splash nice ASCII colored text
> 'Welcome to Ubuntu' or $hostname and everything is fine.
>
> > But they can be fixed can't they? ;-)
>
> Nope. riva framebuffer is framebuffer for nvidia cards. Nvidia driver
> (nvidia, not nv) crashes when riva framebuffer is on. We can't fix
> nvidia driver. How many of you use nvidia? :-)

Well, I use  nVidia GeForce FX 5200s, which are low end cards of the FX 5800
(NV 30), cards in two systems here. I've used both the nVidia drivers from
the NVidia Site and the Debianized and Ubuntu versions of the nVidia drivers
also. I've never loaded the riviafb so I'm not sure what the advantage to it
may be over the vesafb other than seeing or hearing some indications it may
be faster or some such in certain situations. But non-the-less, I have no
problem with bootsplash. Of course, the first thing I normally do with an
install is roll a custom kernel with the patch for bootsplash and compile the
kernel with vesafb static rather than as module. Outside of some badness in
the vesafb in one of the 2.6 series Debian Kernels which was reported as a
bug and fixed but seem to have been carried over into the Ubuntu kernel
sources and having to extract a vanilla vesafb.c from a kernel.org source as
replacement to keep my console from blanking out on boot(in other words to
get bootsplash to work after all the kernel modifications are made and the
ancillary bootsplash software is installed) I have no difficulty with it.
Configuring Grub in accord with the Debian or Ubuntu instructions that are
out there on the web, a background splash image may be configured as
background in Grub for choice of kernels or recovery mode etc. and then the
bootsplash with progress bar, etc. showing up to the point where choice of
wdm (kdm or gdm) loads and choice of wm is made. The entire boot sequence
from power on to shutdown may be themed as to colors, pictures etc. for most
i383 arch. and if a person wants, just hitting a function key will bring up
verbose boot mode where one can watch text roll by to their hearts content.
Some I guess are contrary and non standard. Or last that has been my
experience with Linux for a number of years now. I've had similar experiences
with ATI cards and drivers also.

I guess I need to inject here that I've been running all my systems dual
headed now also everysince there has been anyone making a card with which
that is possible

Of course, in 1995 when I booted my first RH 5.0, I was grateful to just see
the damn thing boot text or otherwise.

I know there are a couple of distros out, Mandrake or now Mandrivia for one
that come out of the box with splash image, bootsplash, etc. enabled. It has
had it's pros and cons. I've had some problems in the past with a couple of
them but nothing that a little research and some modifications hasn't fixed.

But right now, I'm painting my house and need to get back to splashing paint.
It's a real bitch for an old 64 year old fart like me in this kind of
weather.

Again, non-the-less, I've posted a couple of articles on this list and there
are literally hundreds of how-tos on the web as to how to do the necessary
stuff to get one going if one wants to bad enough and has the incentive to do
a little RTFM, overcome the fear of rolling a kernel, and do like my
scrolling marquee screensaver sez "Just Do It Dumb Ass" ;-)

I also on my Windows boxes use the necessary Tweak user interface stuff so
that I can get a boot menu everytime and a text console rolling by to get rid
of that GD idiotic MS Logo. ;-)

Probably haven't cleared up anything and only succeeded in confusing a few
people, but I've been reading the thread and had some time so I thought I'd
throw my two farthing in.

Charlie Lewis aka
Chronocidal Charlie