Ubuntu Boot Up Logo

Ante Karamatić ivoks at grad.hr
Wed Jun 22 18:52:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 18:40 +0100, dan wrote:

> But how can we educate if they won't even try it? That's been my man
> problem. And what is wrong with a bit of polishing? Perhaps even
> putting the text in a pretty window with the words "Booting Ubuntu"
> would be enough not to scare away most people.

People are scared cause of text on monitor? Then *Office is real horror
for them. Splash isn't polishing. It's introducing new feature in
kernel. Feature (riva framebuffer) that is known to break nvidia drivers
(which that users will want for their 3D games). This feature brings
very big latency for any work in console. Coloring text would kill "ugly
white on black" and it isn't hard to do.

Leave freambuffer for systems that must have it (powerpc). Look at my

> If all they are used to is a no-text bootup, and then all of a sudden
> they get a horde of text, which are (to most) unreadble, what are they
> meant to expect?

I didn't understand this one.

--
Ante Karamatic|--|ivoks(@)grad.hr|--|PGP: D3BDA225