detected memory amount....

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 22 17:00:41 UTC 2005

Matthew Nicholson wrote:
> ah ha, that makes perfect sense..though you would think they would want
> more ram available by default since most systems have more than 512
> nowadays. thanks for the quick help.

Unfortunately, there's a tradeoff involved. On a 32 bit system with less
than ~880 MB of RAM installed, Linux can arrange things so it's slightly
faster (it can use certain virtual memory optimisations, so system calls
can happen faster).

Ubuntu have chosen the extra speed over the support for the extra RAM.

(I've no idea what happens if you install from scratch on a 32 bit
system with more than 1 GB of RAM: my system's AMD64...)

James.

--
E-mail address: james | WARNING:  Pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL again will restart
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | your computer.  Then again, what won't?  You will