Domain Controller

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Wed Jun 22 03:27:13 UTC 2005

Hello Charles,

Wednesday, June 22, 2005, 8:42:48 AM, you wrote:

CY> In this case, im using FC3, is there a way for me to make it a domain
CY> controller and not just samba?

No, no.. "Samba" is what any Linux (or Unix for that matter) uses to
do anything related to Windows networking, including being a domain
controller.

So no matter what you do, on FC3 or Ubuntu, it will involve Samba. :)

Actually I dont think there's any difference whatsoever between making
FC3 a domain controller or making Ubuntu a domain controller. Only
difference could be that perhaps FC3 already has the Samba server
installed out of the box, whereas Ubuntu only installs a client by
default. (Server part is very easy to add using Synaptec package
manager or apt-get).

So no matter what, you'll be googling for Samba guides & tutorials today. :)

Cheers,
Chanchao