Hoary user in need of powersaving info [powernowd + p4-clockmod ?]

Eric L. Howard elh at outreachnetworks.com
Tue Jun 21 20:05:00 UTC 2005

I had powernowd working when I first upgraded to Hoary [couple days after
its release] - I really don't remember when it stopped working.

Now that I'm using my battery a lot more, I've began to investigate
powersaving solutions with Ubuntu.  In the forums, I see quite a few 'near
complete' threads, and some that say that powernowd isn't the best way to
go.

Has there been a definitive answer from the Ubuntu developers as to what
the direction for powersaving is and what we should be doing now [i.e. users
running Hoary]?

I can load up p4-clockmod [which is what I remember from when powernowd
appeared to be working properly], but the startup script for powernowd
throws up an error and doesn't start.  My Google and Ubuntu forum searches
haven't provided much help beyond what I've already known/done.

elh at preacher:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/powernowd start
P4 Clockmod is intentionally disabled

elh at preacher:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz
stepping        : 4
cpu MHz         : 1595.630
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips        : 3153.92

elh at preacher:~$ cat /proc/cpufreq
          minimum CPU frequency  -  maximum CPU frequency  -  policy
CPU  0       200000 kHz ( 12 %)  -    1600000 kHz (100 %)  -  userspace

    ~elh

--
Eric L. Howard           e l h @ o u t r e a c h n e t w o r k s . c o m