Booting shipped live CDs?

Bob Parker bposs at
Tue Jun 21 16:33:11 UTC 2005

postmast3r wrote:
> On 6/20/05, Matt Galvin <matt.t.galvin at> wrote:
>>>I just got my free shipment of Ubuntu CDs.  Unfortunately, NONE of the
>>>live CDs that were shipped can successfully boot and get stuck at
>>>"Retrieving casper" (the part immediately after I choose my language).
>>>After half a minute of funny noises coming from my drive while at
>>>that stage, I am told there is a read error and to retry.  So, I
>>>retried...10 times and it never gets past that stage.  I see no
>>>visible scratches or anything on any of the CDs yet they all fail at
>>>exactly the same spot when booted.
>>>I had no problems booting Ubuntu's live CD that I downloaded straight
>>>from and burned myself onto a CDR.
>>>Did anyone else have this same problem with their shipped live CDs?
>>Yes, none of my live CD's work either :(
> What is also interesting is, the md5sums of every single Ubuntu 5.04
> Live CD I got does not match the md5 sums at:
> Here are the md5sums for each of the live CDs I could not boot:
> d9fd22fbd6510b5903789993e090f406  cd1.iso
> d9fd22fbd6510b5903789993e090f406  cd2.iso
> d9fd22fbd6510b5903789993e090f406  cd3.iso
> The md5sum of the live CD I personally downloaded from is:
> 77a1a8be45e0cc93a14c9b9bf00f6648  ubuntu-5.04-live-i386.iso
> which matches the md5sum listed on the site.
> Also, the live CDs that failed to boot are 307200 bytes larger in
> their ISO than the one I downloaded.  655566848 bytes for the live CDs
> I got shipped, 655259648 bytes for the live CD I downloaded.
> I also did "md5sum -c md5sum.txt" from one of the Live CDs I got
> shipped and none of the md5sums failed to verify except for one file:
> $ md5sum -c md5sum.txt
> md5sum: can't open ./install/netboot/pxelinux.cfg/default
> md5sum: MD5 check failed for './install/netboot/pxelinux.0'
> But I am not sure if that would cause the retrieving casper stage to fail.
FWIW my i386 install cd failed to install, in the middle of the
install it claimed there was no available cd to read. I made 2
attempts and got same result.

Next I booted a Knoppix, installed off that, then used what I had to
burn a copy of the Ubuntu install cd.

The installation off the burnt cd went without a hitch.