music players, was: totem won't play vob files

Todd Slater dontodd at columbus.rr.com
Tue Jun 21 12:57:25 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 10:58:14PM -0400, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> Brian Puccio wrote:
> > I use totem for everything except music.  DVDs, video files, etc, all
> > work fine for me in totem.  I still haven't found a music player I like
> > though.
>
> Personally, I don't need to look any farther than xmms. I find the newer
> ones that want to manage my whole world downright annoying.

xmms is great for its plugins. I like being able to play ape, ogg, mp3,
flac, wav, and m4a files without having to transcode them first.
Unfortunately, the xmms interface has some usability issues for me (the
size of text and buttons, namely).

Since I've become a snob and only use ogg and flac formats now, I'm
really fond of muine. It's a really simple player that lets you play
albums or songs and it has a decent search feature (using tags). If you
don't tag your music files you won't like it, but if you do, and have a
tendency to move stuff around for one reason or another, it's a nice
little app.

I still use xmms to preview ape's, though.

Todd