Domain Controller

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 08:38:44 UTC 2005

On 6/21/05, Chanchao <custom at freenet.de> wrote:
> Hello Charles,
>
> Tuesday, June 21, 2005, 12:03:41 PM, you wrote:
>
> CY> We use a samba file and print server in the office. I want to also use
> CY> it as a domain controller. Any tips on how to do this? there are
> CY> currenlty 5 Ubuntu clients on the machine and 7 windows machines using
> CY> the server.. The OS in the server is feodra core 3
>
> Just as a thought, wouldn't it be great if a next version of Ubuntu
> came with a couple of easily selectable file server profiles.. One of
> those would be domain controller.  smb.conf seems needlessly
> complicated for the most common scenarios.  Like a network setup
> wizard would just have a bunch of checkboxes, like:
>
> Domain controller   [X]
>
> Home folders shared [X]
>   Allow all users read access (when folder permissions allow)  [X]
>
> Make public folder in /home/public [X]
>   Allow all users write access to public folder [ ]
>
> That's it. Anything more special than that and people are welcome to
> go read the Samba book. But these basic ones should be easy enough and
> accommodate most users. (It's basically what Windows offers)
>
> Also the user admin panel currently has checkboxes for such things as
> to prevent the user from hearing sound (why? It's not a limited or
> expensive resource is it?) but no checkbox to set that the user can
> login on Samba (add to the smb users file).
>
> It shouldn't be THAT much harder to share folders in Ubuntu compared
> with Apple/Windows OS's, should it?   Samba does a great job of making
> something that's basic to the end user seems hopelessly complicated.
> (I know it IS hopelessly complicated but the end user should be
> shielded from that)

I've been thinking about this.. I reckon it's something that should be
looked at much further down the track..
At the moment Ubuntu is focused on being a desktop OS more than a
Server OS.. For the time being (at least until past "Breezy") I reckon
we should stick with that!

--
Ubuntu Hoary 5.04
"Luminocity is a cracktastic technology testbed for Metacity." - From