Strange and Mysterious iBook Airport Problem, not 802.11g...

Alexander Franchi 4nobody at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 23:53:58 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I have been having a problem with every distribution of linux I try,
and now even Ubuntu. I have an 800MHz G3 Apple iBook (not the
clamshell) which has a standard, 802.11b wireless Airport card. I can
go in System - Administration - Networking and activate my eth1 (the
Airport card), and enter in the ESSID and WEP 128bit password.
(ESSID=***-*** ***** where * is a letter, so it has a space in it).
The WEP is 13 characters long. I set it to automatically configure IP
and such using DHCP. This works fine in OSX (it's a dual-boot system),
and my DHCP server is an Airport Extreme Base Station (access point),
meaning it's 802.11b/g compatible, and this access point is connected
to my cable modem using ethernet. Normally everything should work, but
it doesn't.

Here is the feedback I get on lspci:
http://img60.echo.cx/img60/6307/dsc069888ty.jpg
http://img60.echo.cx/img60/1738/dsc069874hs.jpg

Here is what I get on eth1 in ifconfg:
eth1     Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:30:65:0B:ED:F3
           inet6 addr: fe80::230:65ff:fe0b:edf3/64 Scope:Link
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
           RX bytes:0 (0.0b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
           interrupt:57

On typing iwconfig I get:
eth1        IEEE 802.11-DS   ESSID:"***-*** *****"   Nickname:"HERMES I"
              Mode: Managed   Frequency:2.457 GHz   Access
Point:44:44:44:44:44:44
              Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/3
              Retry Limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment trr:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=0/92   Signal Level=134/153   Noise Level=134/153
              RX invalid crypt:0   Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0   Invalid misc:0   Missed Beacon:0

In iwlist scan:
eth1: Failed to read scan data : Operation not supported

I aksed in forums and irc, no one can think of why this is happening.

Thanks in advance,
llama