Aliasing rm to rm -i for sudo

Markus Kolb ubuntu-ml at tower-net.de
Mon Jun 20 14:05:04 UTC 2005

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar wrote on Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 16:16:01 +0800:
> Dear Folks,
>
> I have aliases for rm to be rm -i in the .bashrc files for an ordinary
> user as well as for root so:
>
> alias rm='rm --interactive'
>
> When I do rm <filename> as an ordinary user, I am asked to confirm deletion.
>
> Likeweise, after sudo -s -H, when I do rm <filename> I am asked to
> confirm deletion.
>
> However, if I do sudo rm <filename> deletion proceeds without
> interactive confirmation.
>
> How may I alias rm to rm -i for sudo?

I don't know any possibility for shell aliasing arguments.
The aliasing is a shell input feature.
/usr/bin/sudo and /bin/sh -c "X" executes programs without any input parsing.
I think it would be a security leak if any replacement like aliasing
would be done in such executions.

You can force sudo to accept /bin/rm only with "-i" or "-f" argument.
Read for this "man 5 sudoers" and use visudo.