UTF-8 console differences in Ubuntu and Debian?

Markus Kolb ubuntu-ml at tower-net.de
Sun Jun 19 22:21:12 UTC 2005

Hi,

are there any functional differences between Debian and Ubuntu console
stuff related to UTF-8 support?
With the lat0-sun16 font in Ubuntu everything on the console is looking
really nice. I have a UTF-8 testfile which shows languages I've never
seen before.
In Debian Sid my own language is supported but the testfile shows a lot
of white squares or with another font question marks.
Also the € currency sign isn't displayed in console of Sid.
Aptitude doesn't show the lines around the confirm windows and so on.
I've tried it with the keymap from Ubuntu Hoary in Sid. No change.

The only difference I can see is that my Sid doesn't use framebuffer and
it is still running kernel 2.4.27.

What is responsible for half UTF-8 support in Sid?

Thanks.
Markus