Strange issue with dist-upgrade and libfaac0

Gerhard Gaußling ggrubbish at web.de
Sat Jun 18 09:44:37 UTC 2005

Hi,

I got a strange thing with apt. It keeps  libfaac0 as upgradeble, but
it's already installed, but as /var/lib/dpkg/status not as expected as
     1.24-0.3 0
        500 http://cyberspace.ucla.edu unstable/main Packages

Here is some output:

gerhard at ubuntu:~$ LANG=en sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
  bookmarkbridge
  libfaac0
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/55.6kB of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  libfaac0
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
Reading package fields... Done
Reading package status... Done
Retrieving bug reports... Done

Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 234805 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libfaac0 1.24-0.3
(using .../libfaac0_1.24-0.3_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libfaac0 ...
Setting up libfaac0 (1.24-0.3) ...

This looks ok, but the gnome update manager (?) still complains, that
there is an update for libfaac0: New version 1.24-0.3.
But it's already installed:
 ii  libfaac0       1.24-0.3       an AAC audio encoder - library files
Ah, ok here is something wrong:
gerhard at ubuntu:~$ apt-cache policy libfaac0
libfaac0:
  Installiert:1.24-0.3
  Mögliche Pakete:1.24-0.3
  Versions-Tabelle:
     1.24-0.3 0
         95 http://archive.ubuntu.com breezy/multiverse Packages
     1.24-0.3 0
        500 http://cyberspace.ucla.edu unstable/main Packages
 *** 1.24-0.3 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.24-0.0 0
        900 http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/multiverse Packages
This package should be installed instead of
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status :
  1.24-0.3 0
        500 http://cyberspace.ucla.edu unstable/main Packages

An dist-upgrade only repeats the action listed above.
An
 sudo apt-get -t unstable install --reinstall   libfaac0
doesn't solve the "problem".

I can't remove the lib without removing transcode etc.:

$ LANG=en sudo apt-get  remove  libfaac0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  cpdvd dvdrip gstreamer0.8-faac gtranscode libavcodeccvs libfaac0
ripmake
  transcode
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 8 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 12.5MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.

Ok, it's not a real problem, but it's a bit annoying, and I don't
understand why this happens.

Any clues, how to manage that?

Kind regards

Gerhard Gaußling