Samba sharing a FAT32 external HD

Ben Novack bennovack at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 01:29:20 UTC 2005

On 6/17/05, Ben Novack <bennovack at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got an external USB2 hard drive formatted as FAT32 that contains,
> among other things, all of my music; I want the other systems on my
> network (specifically, a Mac PowerBook) to have unrestricted
> read/write access to it. Sharing my home directory works fine; the
> external drive shows up when browsing the network, but neither XP nor
> the PB can actually view it. Is there a way to get it properly shared
> without reformatting it into something more Unixy - something I very
> much want to avoid, since I frequently use it on XP systems?
>
> (The HD's plugged into a Hoary desktop, for the record.)

Something else that just came up as I was investigating a workaround:
If I copy the library to the shared folder on my hard drive, the Mac
can't use it as its library folder because it lacks write permissions.
Is there a way I can change its contents, recursively down the tree,
to be rwx for everyone?