mouse problems

David Jacobs davidbe at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 08:19:48 UTC 2005

2005/6/17, Charles Malespin <charles.malespin at gmail.com>:
> Hi all, I had to reset my xorg settings and when I rebooted it gave me
> the option of choosing either the gnome mouse set up or the X mouse set
> up. I picked the X set up, but now my mouse scroll wheel wont work. It
> worked fine before, but I cant get it to change now. Can some one help
> me enable this? Its just your standard mouse, came with my dell computer
> so its pretty basic. Thanks.
> Charles

Hi,

In short: The mouse-settings are in the Xorg-configuration (assuming
you're using Xorg) and should be adjusted.

In long: The config-file is probably situated in /etc/X11 and is
called xorg.conf. Open up a terminal and type:
  sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Type in you're password.
Look for "Section "InputDevice"" with "Driver "mouse""  mentioned. It
looks something like this:
Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier and driver
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/usbmouse"
    Option "Buttons"     "5"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Check if this option exists in your config-file:
  Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
If not, add it! Maybe it might be necessary to add (I'm not sure about this):
    Option "Buttons"     "5"

Save the file, log off and reboot the X-server with <Ctrl>-<Alt>-<Backspace>.

I hope this helps. I cannot check this thouroughly because I'm not
working on my computer right now.

Cheers,
David

[Googled with these parameters: linux scroll wheel xorg]