/dev/dsp Permission Denied

Troy Davidson clandaith at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 14:14:04 BST 2005

If I log in as my user, who setup KUbuntu on my box, I have sound and
it works fine in all apps.

But, I have users for my wife and son.  They log in and get a message
saying something like "can't use audio.  /dev/dsp (Permission
Denied)".  I look at /dev/dsp and it is RW for Root and Audio.

So, I add them to the group Audio.  But, they still get the problem.
I read some posts on the web, but none specifically had this error.

Should I just change the permisison to RW for everyone on /dev/dsp?  I
figured adding them to the group Audio would have done the trick.

Anyone else have this problem?