During routine update, package conflict between base-files and mysql-shared

Karl Hegbloom hegbloom at pdx.edu
Wed Jun 15 18:52:09 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 17:26 -0400, Todd Deshane wrote:
> The package I installed was an rpm from mysql.com.
> I used alien to convert it to a debian packaged and
> installed with dpkg.

All bets are off.

> Other suggestions for a clean solution that will allow me
> to continue getting updates and have mysql 4.1 still?

Add Debian unstable or breezy universe (maybe it's there) to your
sources.list and install it from there.  You may need to add the
file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/05-Cache-Limit with:

 // This is needed if you get an error saying that the mmap ran out of
 // space.  The setting here should give it plenty!  RTFM.
 //
 APT::Cache-Limit "16777216";

... if you get an error message with many repositories listed in
sources.list.

Mixing Ubuntu and Debian like that is _unsupported_ and if it breaks you
keep both pieces.  In my experience, it tends to work fairly well if you
are careful about what you install.  The boot messages are not as
pretty, but the software is mostly compatible.

You can override a file clash with the '--force-overwrite' switch to
dpkg; but don't do it unless you are sure the file in conflict is safe
to overwrite.  Use 'mc' (midnight commander) to view the insides of
a .deb package.

--
Karl Hegbloom <hegbloom at pdx.edu>