"My first 48 hours enduring Ubuntu"

James Livingston jrl at ids.org.au
Wed Jun 15 17:03:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 10:23 -0600, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> I don't care for the application menu bar at the top of the screen
> rather than in the application window itself, either. Of course, I'm
> sure there are many users who *love* that - which is my point, the
> application interface guidelines are the computing equivalent of housing
> associations that tell you what color you can paint your house, how
> often you have to water your lawn, and that you can't have signs on your
> yard or whatever... it may sound reasonable if you agree with the
> guidelines, but if you want to paint your house purple it doesn't sound
> reasonable at all...

I one of the big points about the interface guidelines it to make things
consistent. Imagine if a third of you applications has the menubar at
the top of the screen, a third had then at the bottom, and the other
third has then in the windows.

Although people may disagree about some of the choices (such as where to
put menu, etc); having all applications behave the same is fairly
important. The biggest problem with *nix GUIs was (and to a lesser
extent still is) that different applications behave completely
differently, which makes things harder to learn.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
The PROPER way to handle HTML postings is to cancel the article, then
hire a hitman to kill the poster, his wife and kids, and fuck his dog