Extended desktop with Intel 82852/855GM

Joel Goguen jtgoguen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 06:55:28 UTC 2005

I've been trying for some time now to get an extended desktop set up on
my laptop.  I'm running Ubuntu Hoary, Xorg 6.8.2-10, kernel 2.6.11 with
Ubuntu patches.  The laptop is a Compaq Presario 2200.  According to
'lspci' I have two heads, the primary (laptop monitor) is at PCI:0:2:0,
and the external is at PCI:0:2:1.  I've posted both on the Ubuntu forums
and on a couple communities on LiveJournal, however I haven't found
anything that works yet.  My current xorg.conf is attached, and the most
recent log file can be found at
http://v5o5jotqkgfu3btr91t7w5fhzedjaoaz8igl.unbf.ca/~r1hh8/Xorg.0.log.
What I have right now is exactly the same as with a stock xorg.conf
file.  I have my external LCD monitor creating an exact clone of what's
being shown on the laptop screen.  What I'm looking for is to have the
primary desktop be the laptop monitor, extended onto the external LCD
(the way it works on Windows).  Since I'm sometimes away from the
monitor, I need it to revert to only one desktop in the absence of an
external monitor and return to extended desktop if one is present.
Either that or having all windows open on the primary monitor (laptop
screen) would be great if it's possible.  Any help anyone can provide
will be greatly appreciated.

--
Joel Goguen
ITS Student Consultant