Installation problem

Jack Hudson jhudson at tconline.net
Mon Jun 13 21:35:43 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 15:09 +0100, John French wrote:
> I have been enjoying learning about ubuntu, and familiarizing myself
> with it on my old PC. Now we have re-allocated the hardware in the
> family, and I have shiny new system. So I set about installing Hoary.
>
> All went apparently well, all the usual packages were installed (as far
> as I could tell), until the point at which I expected ubuntu to start.
> At that point my monitor showed a message, "Input signal out of range",
> and nothing further happened. This gave me no opportunity to correct
> anything.
>
> I have succeeded in using the recovery mode, once I unplugged all the
> USB devices, but have been unable to work out how to configure the
> monitor from the command line. Anything relating to Gnome produces a
> message, "unable to open display". The monitor is a standard IBM 15" LCD.
>
> Any helpful advice, please ?
>
> John French

I had the same problem. If you have the book for your monitor it should
have all your supported timing and scanning , Vertical, Horizontal
refresh rates you will see what your monitor is capable of.
When you do dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg you should see what
resolutions you can do with it.
What worked for me was to use the medium setup and select the vesa mode
and I selected conservatively at 800x600 60hz. Then when I startx from
the terminal a strange colored screen first came up but then GDM started
and all was well. All the screen resolutions were available in X.
Hope this helps and is understandable.
p.s. follow the other posts about reconfiguring the server and killing
the graphical screen.
--
Jack Hudson
Bryan, Texas