Partition labels

Mike Procario procario at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 15:33:48 UTC 2005

I blew away the windows partitions on my dual boot desktop with Fedora Core
3. I decided to add Ubuntu for a tryout. I installed Hoary and used the
installer to make the partition for Linux and to make a ext3 filesystem
there. The installer created a second swap partition instead of just using
the one I already had, but that is not a big issue. The installer rewrote my
partition table after the changes. I got a bad install which appeared to be
due to the media. I burned a new disk and eventually the install worked.

After the bad install of Hoary I tried to boot into Fedora. I could not. I
had not gotten to the point of installing grub in the Ubuntu install so I
was surprised, when after showing the usual grub menu with Fedora choices I
ended up in a crippled version of Hoary. I used a system recovery CD to
reinstall grub from my Fedora partition, but I still had problem. It turns
out that Fedora specifies partition labels in the fstab and the partition
rewrite that I did apparently wiped them out. When I switched to device
names everything worked fine.

Can I use partition labels in Ubuntu's fstab? That is does the version of
mount in Hoary support partition labels?

I got a good Hoary install with a new CD after I fixed the Fedora Core 3
problems. I can now boot to either.

--
Mike

"Another casualty of applied metaphysics" --Hobbes