GRUB hangs with Windows 2000

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Mon Jun 13 13:05:33 UTC 2005

Soo-Hyun Choi wrote:
>>>Booting 'Windows NT/2000/XP'
>>>
>>>root(hd0,0)
>>>  Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0xc
>>>makeactive
>>>chainloader +1
>>
>>Still looking "fine"...
>>
>>Try this:  Make a SBM Floppy http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/SmartBootManagerHowto
>>
>>boot with that (just boot from the floppy, don't install to the HD) and try
>>booting the Win partition.  This will help determine if there is a problem with
>>grub or Windows.
>>

> I did this to boot Win2k, but still hangs. :-(

I would say something on the windows partition is broken.  I think you are going
to need to use a Win2k CD to repair it, which will replace grub with the MS boot
loader.  Once you get windows working, you can put grub back and then everything
should work.

>>>The total HDD size is 40GB, and Win2k had C and D drive each has 20GB.
>>>I erased D drive and freed up the partition for Ubuntu installation.
>>>
>>>Would that be a problem?
>>>

>>That should be fine.  After you erased D:, did you try rebooting?   On my Win2k, I
>>have 6+6+8, and I ran out of room on C, so started installing things on E: - but
>>even if you did that, I would think you would get furthor in the boot.
>

> After I erased D drive, I did not reboot the system, but I just
> installed Ubuntu. Does that matter?

It would have been a good test to make sure Win still booted.

Carl K