Sourcing a Directory

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Mon Jun 13 05:13:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 00:33 -0400, Matthew S-H wrote:
> That didn't work either.  It said "xargs: illegal option -- i" and
> then printed usage info.

That's weird!! It DID work for me!  Here's a quote from “man xargs”:
        --replace[=replace-str], -i[replace-str]
                Replace occurences of replace-str in the initial
                arguments with names read from standard input.  Also,
                unquoted blanks do not terminate arguments.  If
                replace-str is omitted, it defaults to "{}" (like for
                ‘find -exec’).  Implies -x and -l 1.

The output of “xargs --version”:
        GNU xargs version 4.1.20

Also note that I'm using “bash” which is the default shell in Ubuntu
(other shells may need some adjustments to make this work).

Another solution:  Change “-i” to “--replace={}” and see what happens.
Also, make sure that “-0” is the first argument to “xargs”

Here's the command again in several lines (I'm thinking that your mail
reader didn't display it correctly as mine (Evolution) didn't!):
        d="$HOME/.bash_profile_pieces" &&\
        find "$d" -type f -print0 |\
        xargs -0 --replace={} cat {} >"$d/all" &&\
        source "$d/all" &&\
        rm -f "$d/all"

Just type them as above.  “bash” will allow you to enter more than one
line if it ends with “\” before it starts to execute the commands.

Again, it DID work for me!  I created a directory “~/.T” and put two
files in it with some “variable=value” and “alias”(es) and it worked.

If it didn't work with you post the output of “xargs --help” and the
output of “xargs --version”

I hope it'll work with you.
Ziyad.