sudo, su, root

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sun Jun 12 16:42:52 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 12:05:26AM +0700, Chanchao wrote:
>On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 17:31 +0200, Albin Blaschka wrote:
>
>> no, this mail bears no questions, why I have no root account ;-)
>> Maybe it is the answer (relief?) for some of us. Others maybe may curse
>> me ;-)
>
>Yup.. I sometimes wish the whole gnome environment had a quick switch to
>root..  Like run with 'safety off' for a while for as long as you need
>it.  This because using the GUI for basic file operations such as
>copying web files into the www folder, or installing a font, or any
>other minor administrative task doesn't work.
>
>This means I find myself in a text console way more often than I like.
>It feels like going back to a Windows 3.1 era, when I also always had a
>command line open.  Since Windows 95 (And Apple long before that) I
>hardly ever needed the command line anymore.)
>
>So.. A sudo-feature for Gnome would be nice.. Does that exist?

Have you checked out the "New Login" in Applications->System Tools?
That seems to start a second X server where you can login as root, or
anyone else. It's of course not the same as sudo since you need to be
able to log in as root.

It might be worth checking out Xnest as well. I haven't tried it, but
maybe you can run it with sudo and have it start up Gnome. That should
bring you close to a sudo for Gnome.

Hope this helps.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Intellectual property (IP) has been driving the species for some five
million years. In the past 100 or so years, it's increasingly been saddled
with the chore of lining the pockets of middlemen and parasites who, sans
this lining, would lack sufficient intellect to open a can of beer.
     -- Tom Matrullo