one day you wake up... and everything's gone!

Rainer Gutkas Rainer.Gutkas at kstp.at
Sat Jun 11 20:03:29 UTC 2005

Michael Van Dorpe schrieb:

> I have to log on to the university network every day to get on the
> internet... It now appears that my problem arises the first time I
> start Ubuntu in the morning. I have to start Windows XP; log on to the
> network, start Ubuntu and thén everything is fine.
>
> So, I'm not having the problem you had... but maybe the problem is
> indeed related to the clock, because the only thing that fails in the
> boot proces is contacting the NTP server for synchronizing my clock.
> Obviously that doesn't work, since I'm not logged on to the university
> network yet for that day.

That's  the part I left out in my problem disrciption. So the unclean
shutdown I had was caused by NTP synchronization. That's what's seemed
to have caused all the trouble. I turned it on the day before and then
out of the blue the Laptop just shut down and everything semmed to be
messed up.

> Could this indeed be the problem? And, if so, why didn't it happen
> before? And what can I do now to solve it? I guess I can remove the
> synchronizing from the boot proces, but that's not a nice solution, is
> it?

So I guess it's the problem. So my solution was to turn off NTP. I don't
know why this should be an ugly solution, as long as you're Laptops
clock is working probably. So ok you don't have an perfect synchronized
clock though, but a running system and from what you said
synchronisation works with windows XP, so the clock get's synchronized
every now and then.

Rainer