Running a DNS (e.g. BIND9) -- why?

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Sat Jun 11 19:18:42 UTC 2005

Eric Dunbar wrote:
> Hello, an abstract question:
>
> Why would you run your own DNS (domain name server, FYI for innocent
> bystanders)?
>
> The reason I ask this question is that I often see questions regarding
> set-up of BIND9 or other such DNS services. Why would one set up a DNS
> on a small & private LAN? Does having your own DNS improve look-up
> response times? Can you then host your own domain(s) without having to
> subscribe to a DNS service like dyndns.org which has its own
> DNS(erver)?

as someone else pointed out, is often useful to have your own name
server for local name resolution.  I have a bunch of machines here at
harvee.org and it really makes things easier to connect to different
machines.

I do not run my own public name servers because it's just too much like
work.  I'm starting also recommend to my customers that they use
services provided by organizations like  zone edit or their domain
registrar.

it's far easier for organization to outsource this particular service
that it is to run it on their own.

now for internal use, especially a home network I am really sold on
dnsmasq which also provides dhcp services.  it has been reliable and it
looks like it may even be useful in medium-sized enterprises.

I'm really a big fan of simple.  :-)

---eric