Setting up Local Area Network (Dazed & Confused)

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 15:45:28 UTC 2005

One other solution (which is preferrable in the long term, I'm sure):
Get yourself a router and plug the modem into the router's WAN port
and the computers into the LAN ports. The router has a built-in DHCP
server which will dish out the IP addresses to the computers. It is
also possible that your modem has a built-in DHCP server, in which
case, all you'd need is a "hub" or a "switch" (which are even cheaper
than routers.

FYI Routers can be had for $20 or so so they're not exactly expensive ;-).

Eric.