Suggestions for Ubuntu Article

Graham sweeney276 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jun 11 08:22:37 UTC 2005

On Saturday 11 Jun 2005 06:22, Chanchao wrote:

[snipped]
> Anyway, I'm getting distracted:  I think Ubuntu should play mp3's and
> DVDs, OR include seriously simple instructions on how to add it.  If
> they can host instructions on how to do it then they can also go all
> the way and put a link on the desktop with some easy clickable links
> to add mpeg, mp3 support.

XMMS will play mp3 files. DVDs are a little trickier, for if you want to
play DVDs from any region, you'll have to download libdvdcss, but you
might like to look at MPlayer to play DVDs.  Use the net to find them
(ever tried www.google.com/linux ?).

You can add these through the use of apt-get and even Synaptic providing
the repositories where they can be found are in the sources list
at /etc/apt/sources.list.  Because Ubuntu is based on Debian, you could
use the Packages list at www.debian.org if all else fails.

Now to your wider point.  Ubuntu IS a version of Linux, not a version of
Windows.  Linux is a "modular" operating system where packages are
built up from a number of smaller programs often maintained separately.
By and large it uses standards rigorously, which Windows does not.
Also, in Debian, there are three sorts of software: stable (tested
rigorously but often not up to date), testing (not rigourously tested
enough to move to stable, but getting there) and unstable (up to the
minute stuff which could include bugs and make your system unstable).
Ubuntu might be stable (ie it does not crash) but still uses software
from the testing and unstable repositories.  This means YOU, the user,
are part of a worldwide testing process.

If you want a Debian based system that is more stable, but does not have
the latest software, I'd suggest you look at Libranet 2.8.1; its free
to download from www.libranet.com (they will be back online on Monday
13th June).  Ubuntu helps you with many choices but if you want an up
to date system that leaves you easier access through the apt-get
system, try Mepis 3.3.1, which you can download for free from
www.mepis.org.

I use Ubuntu with the Kubuntu desktop on my other PC, and its fine for
my purposes (the only thing missing is root access instead of sudo),
but you have to know how to use it.  If you don't the software will
control the way you use your PC.  Like Windows (or MSWormOS as a
colleague of mine calls it) does now and is planning to do more
rigorously in the future.  Linux will never be an invisible part of a
PC system because it involves choice on the part of the user, freedom
to use it as you wish, and that is one of its greater strengths.

--

Graham