Synaptics Touchpad

Karl Hegbloom hegbloom at pdx.edu
Sat Jun 11 03:58:58 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 23:40 -0400, Sean C Sieger wrote:
> I can move the pointer around using the touchpad, however, I don't
> dare tap-to-click as doing so pastes whatever I copied last (I have
> pasted some pretty wicked stuff in login fields) or does nothing at
> all when I tap on an app button.

It sounds like tap-click is somehow bound to the middle button, rather
than to the first (inside) button as it normally is.

> I have been working on other issues when I came upon this over on
> ubuntu-devel:

Yes, I posted that, before I found out that Ubuntu already adds a
configuration for the Synaptics touchpad.  The older XFree86 Debian
package did not do that.

> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
>         Driver          "synaptics"
>    [ ... ]
> 	Option		"SHMConfig"		"on"
> EndSection
>
> Can I somehow use that to get rid of this seemingly useless bit
> in my xorg.conf:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
> 	Driver		"mouse"
> 	Option		"CorePointer"
>  	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
> 	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
>         Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
> 	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
>         Driver          "synaptics"
>         Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
>         Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
>         Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
>         Option		"HorizScrollDelta"	"0"
> EndSection
>
> I have tried myself and crashed xserver several times.

Your configuration looks the same as the other one to me, given that
most of it is commented off.  I'm not sure why it would be "crashing".
Do you mean "not starting"?  You should have only one 'Identifier
"Synaptics Touchpad"' input device section.  If you leave the
"Configured Mouse" there as well, you'll be able to use a USB mouse ---
just plug it in and it will work.  You can debug server startup problems
by looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

For the wrong-button on tap-click problem, read:

 zless /usr/share/doc/xorg-driver-synaptics/README.gz

Either set it statically in the xorg.conf, or enable SHMConfig, and use
the 'synclient' program.  You could use 'synclient' to find the right
settings, and them write them statically, if you prefer.

I think you need to set TapButton1 to 1.

--
Karl Hegbloom <hegbloom at pdx.edu>